Wednesday 24 January 2007

Finley’s birthday and Health Visitor (HV) one year check

Health visitors have been notoriously unhelpful in the past about Finley’s head, I’m really annoyed that we didn’t get better advice earlier. Our usual HV wasn’t there when we turned up but the place was empty so I had a great chance to say my piece without being hurried along.

Gladys Iyun (HV) was actually quite interested. I wanted to get her to think twice about telling people it would grow out on its own. She seemed quite receptive to the idea and wanted to know more. I told her that if we had had proper repositioning advice earlier on at 3 months when we first got really concerned we wouldn’t be where we are now. Also if we had been asked to come back the HVs would have been able to see it wasn’t getting any better and could have directed us to a helmet provider even just for proper measuring. We would then have had proper statistics to show the severity and could’ve acted much sooner. Gladys gave me her e mail address and wanted all the information. She said she was going to give a talk to the other HVs soon and she could include this. I hope she does – at least Farnham mothers might be better informed….

Finley is 50th percentile for weight and length but 95th percentile for head circumference. I hope he hasn’t done mad head growth and his body is catching up. We need lots of head growth now so that the helmet can guide it to the back.

No comments: